> Fonts on Win and Mac almost never look the same

This is because Microshaft...sorry, I meant Microsoft use an entirely
different font size and generation routine to EVERYBODY ELSE IN THE
INDUSTRY.

There are four exceptions to this: Arial, Tahoma, Verdana (the Mac version
is a pain to get) and Times New Roman. In the case of the latter, though,
you will have to juggle the font map stuff the associate Times New Roman on
the PC and Times on the Mac.

To be honest, though, unless you want editable text, the only benefit the
text member has is its convenience, of which drops through the floor when
developing cross-platform solutions. I much prefer to use PNG images for my
text - if properly designed and compressed they are fine - I've had big
titles with the embedded alpha for a mere 4k and the overal DIR file didn't
take a size or performance hit at all.