From: "Al Hospers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2001 8:11 AM
Subject: RE: <lingo-l> fileIO irregularity

> >I need to open a text file, which is in the same folder as
> the projector,
> in >wordpad from a projector. I'm using
>
> >open the moviePath & "myfile.txt" with "C:\windows\write.exe"
>
> >The problem is - wordpad opens but I get an error message
> saying "file
> >My........ (etc.) not found." On the other hand the file opens Ok
in
> >notepad, although the formatting is lost.

Hi Steve,

Have you tried this from the message window and can you make it work
there?

Just as an aside... I notice that you are hard coding the path to
WordPad

  "C:\windows\write.exe"

I assume that you know this is not likely to work on all machines. In
fact it will fail on NT and Win2000 boxes almost for sure.
Additionally, users can choose the name of the Windows system folder
on installation. You will need to use a system-level function to
determine the path to WordPad based on information in the registry.
Also, as someone else also pointed out, you may have a problem with
spaces in the path and long file names on some versions of Windows.

There are several Xtras which will perform these functions for you,
MasterApp is one. The MasterApp Xtra contains a function specifically
designed for the purpose of locationg an executable named

  mappLocateExecutable()

It returns the path to the executable registered to handle the
document at the file path specified.

Regarding the short/long filename issue, you could use

  mappGetShortFileName ( filepathString )

It takes a string containing a long file path and returns a string a
short DOS-style file path.

MasterApp gives you broad control over other applications from your
Director presentation. A common application for MasterApp is building
connectivity between your Director piece and various Web browsers and
Web pages. However, MasterApp is much more powerful than this basic
use, including dozens of methods for launching, monitoring and
controlling external applications.

Price: $299.00
Platforms: 32-bit Windows, Win 3.1, Mac
Director versions supported: Director 4,5,6,7,8
Author: Glenn Picher

MasterApp is a commercial Xtra sold by UpdateStage. You find out more
information, download an evaluation version or purchase the Xtra here:

 http://www.updatestage.com/xtras/xtrahome.html

I hope that this information is useful.

Cheers,

Al Hospers