I've worked with both (Authorware & Director)
& I agree w/Pekka.

Authorware's strong suit is that it keeps score of tons of stuff
under the hood automatically.
Director can keep score too, but have to set up the variables.
Not that this is hard, but it's not done for you.

More importantly for me, is the authoring & user experiences.

Authorware is not known for fun.
Director is.

that's why I work with Director and never want to touch AW again.

-Buzz