Well then go ahead and do it. I can't recommend a book for beginners,
since I did all learning by doing, but I guess other people on the list can.

About your project: generally, things can be done in many ways in lingo,
so that it should be no problem to realize a quite "simple" application
with simple lingo. Your code does not need to be perfectly styled,
objectorientated or world-class. It only has to work. That's it. And
that can be done in about 2 or 3 months. The list will help You.

If you need help, feel free to contact me directly.

regards, Florian