Hey Colin -

> You can (or could have for your CD series) solve the problem to a
> great degree by using Flash members. A Flash sprite that has a JPEG
> in it can scale with nice anti-aliasing, and does good dithering when
> the screen is set to 8 bit color.

Unfortunately we were controlling the palette rather explicitly, and
every graphic asset was already pre-mapped to a specific palette (each
title in the series had roughly 100-120 custom palettes). We didn't want
Director doing any palette-remapping-guessing at all (as typically
Photoshop does a much better job than Director).

As well, there were tens of thousands of graphic assets (not just 10 or
20 :) ), many of which were portions of animations, or interactive
diagrams, etc etc.. So flash was definitely not an option.

The worst part was Macromedia deciding for us that they didn't consider
it relevant anymore. oh well. :(

Anyways, that was a huge project for the past 3 years of my life, and
I've since moved on. I've learned (unfortunately) not to trust any new
update until I've had it for a year or so - especially if you are
working with *very* larger projects. For smaller scale presentations and
tools it probably doesn't matter as much - still the rule is to be
careful. :)

Kendall.