Roy Crisman wrote:

> At 05:29 PM 8/7/01 +0200, you wrote:
>
> >Hi folks!
> >
> >I want to establish a copy protection similar to windows XP. In detail i
> >would like to read out things like amount of RAM, harddisk serial etc
> >and combine that into a serial number. Since my application has to be
> >online anyway, it will check this serial number with an online database
> >and therefore know whether it is legal or not.
> >
> >Any ideas, xtras or something?
>
> So, I have to buy a new version when I increase my RAM, or upgrade my
> hard-drive?

If you change more than 2 things, you'll will have to get a new serial.
In this special case this is no problem, since the user is in constant
contact with me (the seller) anyway. This is to keep him from using two
copies on two different machines which by the way ist in the first line
for his security, because the application sends thousands of SMS at his
own costs. So I have to make it as secure as possible.

> How about you just create a complicated algorithm and generate keys based
> on that?

Sure, but it would have to do something with the machine, otherwise one
could just copy the application, if he has the password.