Generally the non-repeat loop way to do that is to have the mouseDown set a
boolean value and you check that boolean value on the exitFrame (or more
elegantly, do it in the stepFrame and add "me" to the actorList).  You're
losing the stillDown because you end up moving the mouse off the
image...the smaller the image, the easier this is to do.

So, on a valid mouseDown, set yourself up to continue following the mouse
until you actually get a mouseUp (and mouseUpOutside) which will set the
'follow' condition to false.

that help?

roymeo

At 10:13 AM 8/20/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Yes, sure. Adding an updateStage after every location update makes no
>difference--it is still possible to break the mouse pointer away from the
>sprite with a quick motion, and then the hander stops working.
>
>I also tried putting the sequence in the exitFrame script. In that case,
>the handler always works, but is very "laggy," even at 25 frames/sec.
>
>Putting the same sequence in a repeat loop, as I've seen in one DOUG
>article, makes the movement jerky for some reason. Also, a repeat loop
>suspends background actions, at least on the Mac.
>
>I don't know what else to try.
>
>S.
>
>At 08:59 AM 8/20/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>>have you tried updateStage during the stilldown section.

-----
Roy Crisman
Senior Macromedia Programmer
(716)724-4054