On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 5:26 AM, Frank O'Connor
<francisoconn...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> Personally, I think that satellite (with regular upgrades) or eventual laying
> of pervasive fibre, was the answer to maintaining universal coverage in the
> bush, rather than 4G towers dotted over the landscape ....

Satellite is like renting... a recurring expense, ie a SERVICE you pay
for (control ground station, orbit adjustment, backup strategy in case
of malfunction, etc). Whereas if you build a fixed-wireless tower...
it's fixed infrastructure, like a bridge. It'll be there in 100 years
with little maintenance cost compared to a satellite.

Not to mention the 2nd-class internet service you get over satellite
due to uplink/downlink delay...  aka latency. More important nowadays
with "web 2.0" AJAX "web apps" (GMail, Facebook and the like)  than in
the previous non-AJAX web.

Satellite Internet faster than advertised, but latency still awful
Satellite latency is 638ms, 20 times higher than terrestrial broadband.
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/02/satellite-internet-faster-than-advertised-but-latency-still-awful/

Discussion
http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1194391&sid=6bfd52f4ed7398a415152652ede36aac

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eyFDBPk4Yw

FC

Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un
Acto Revolucionario
- George Orwell