Kim writes,

> From: k...@holburn.net
> Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 09:11:59 +1000
> Subject: [LINK] What Today's Economic Gloomsayers Are Missing
>
> Technology is not our enemy. It is our best hope.

Yes, agreed. And going forward, I think technology and specifically
communications technology should be at the front and centre in terms of our
overall Australian defence strategy. That is, a Cyber Command to be our central
defensive element, well ahead of the Australian Army, Navy and Air Forces.

http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/raaf-pitches-for-key-role-in-strategy/story-e6frfku9-1227029837044

AS the big powers face off against each other, the RAAF wants air power to be
the central element of Australia's upcoming defence strategy document.

RAAF chief Geoff Brown says some believe Australia's optimum defence structure
should feature an upgraded army with the RAAF continuing to play a vital, if
invisible, role - as it has in recent conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.

But the air marshal says neither the government nor the Australian people have
much enthusiasm for long-term nation-building operations far from our immediate
region.

The RAAF could provide the government with multiple response options, ranging
from rapid delivery of humanitarian aid to bombing missions or just placing an
adversary at risk to influence behaviour.

Notice times were now in hours or even minutes, as the recent aid mission to
Iraq demonstrated.

"It is obvious that air power must take its place at the centre of our national
security strategy," Air Marshal Brown told an Australian Strategic Policy
Institute dinner on Tuesday.

The government is now preparing a new defence white paper which will spell out
Australia's view of current and emerging strategic challenges and how the
defence force should be structured.

It will be released next year.

Air Marshal Brown says there is a risk recent conflicts in Iraq and
Afghanistan, in which ground forces played a central role, will be viewed as an
immutable form of war which should determine future defence structure.

The white paper needed to consider recent operations and ensure defence was
prepared to confront the emerging world, rather than the era just past, he said.

"The enduring qualities of air power are even more relevant as we move into an
era of rising major power confrontation."

Air Marshal Brown said the new F-35 would be the smartest and most agile
aircraft ever to fly, providing the RAAF with a winning edge well into the
future.

RAAF's transformation into a force able to respond to emerging challenges would
be driven by the new Plan Jericho to be released early in 2015.

--
Cheers,
Stephen