At 04:10 PM 12/12/2014, Jim Birch you wrote:
>> 3. Telstra appear to be forcing all NBN connections to buy and connect a
>> Telstra-provided home gateway/router to the NBN connection to provide the
>> telephone
>> service as VoIP using the Telstra gateway, not using the in-built VoIP
>> capability of
>> the NBN box.
>
>Is there a technical or commercial reason for this?  It's a fairly onerous
>constraint to go to a telstra router if you want to do anything non
>standard with your connection (as I would.)

Update:
I saw her today and found out she is getting FTTP, not the HFC, which surprised
me since she said she already had HFC.
The thing that is bugging her the most is the lack of reliable voice service if
there is a power outage. She doesn't want to spring for a battery back-up.
Evidently when the Libs took over, the UPS is no longer part of the package.

Jan

"Lost Anchors" - Now available on Amazon in both print and Kindle versions.
Print: http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Anchors-J-Kirsten/dp/1502541556/
Ebook : <http://mybook.to/lostanchors>myBook.to/lostanchors

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jw...@janwhitaker.com
Twitter: <https://twitter.com/JL_Whitaker>JL_Whitaker
Blog: www.janwhitaker.com

<https://www.amazon.com/author/jlwhitaker>JL Whitaker
"On A Life's Edge" -
US Amazon print and digital http://viewBook.at/OALEdge
Apple iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/au/book/on-a-lifes-edge/id893736824?mt=11

Sooner or later, I hate to break it to you, you're gonna die, so how do you
fill in the space between here and there? It's yours. Seize your space.
~Margaret Atwood, writer