Mmmm,

Telstra is also encouraging existing customers to sign uo for new deals which
include a new router.

I'm guessing (and this is my nasty suspicious nature at work) that the new
routers are all models that Telstra is using to implement its "Gee Whiz Wow'
Last Gen Public WiFi network ... with the public IP turned on by default. That
raises all sorts of security considerations for me, as well as the fact that
I'm providing Telstra with the power to run their network gratis, and
presumably sharing my bandwidth and getting lower performance in times of high
public IP demand as the router struggles to juggle two competing data streams.

I'm currently considering dropping my landline, reverting to an ADSL connection
with a third party ISP for about 2/3 of the costs, and using my mobile as my
major phone, as Telstra has penny ante'd its way into my heart way too much of
late.

Just my 2 cents worth ...
---