At 11:33 AM 23/01/2016, David Lochrin wrote:

>I think there's a tradeoff between teaching the fundamentals, which tends to
>require a systematic waterfall development methodology, and agile development
>which can go seriously off the rails unless the project leaders, at least,
>have a solid understanding of these fundamentals.

all of the above - including coding, design, evaluation, governance, risk
management etc etc etc -- oh, and ethics.

To single out any element of a complete profession is ridiculous. BUT you gotta
start somewhere. You don't become a doctor by only learning about germs or
stitching up a cut. Those are technical skills. Yet some people may lead into
medicine as a career by meeting a nice doctor who stitched up a cut or a
biology teacher who showed how to make a culture. We still need people who do
those jobs and enjoy doing them.

Also, IT is a team sport, just like medicine. Not everyone can have deep enough
knowledge to cover all the topics required.

I reckon the whole STEAM process needs to be rethought in how it engages young
people. The starting point isn't the ending point. And one person's starting
point isn't the next person's. It takes a lifetime to pull together a full
picture.

Where projects go off the rails is when people who don't know much of anything
about the fundamentals -- e.g. finance types or sociopathic CEOs -- overrule
common sense by putting a filter on their decisions that have nothing to do
with reality of physics. We all know the faster, cheaper, better meme, or
whatever the three are. You can't have all of them. But physics is going to
trump every time.

My daily rant. Thank you.
Jan

I write books. http://janwhitaker.com/?page_id=8

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jw...@janwhitaker.com
Twitter: <https://twitter.com/JL_Whitaker>JL_Whitaker
Blog: www.janwhitaker.com

Sooner or later, I hate to break it to you, you're gonna die, so how do you
fill in the space between here and there? It's yours. Seize your space.
~Margaret Atwood, writer