On 2016-01-23 11:59 JanW  wrote:

> Also, IT is a team sport, just like medicine. Not everyone can have deep
> enough knowledge to cover all the topics required.
>
> I reckon the whole STEAM process needs to be rethought in how it engages
> young people. The starting point isn't the ending point. And one person's
> starting point isn't the next person's. It takes a lifetime to pull together
> a full picture.

The "software development project" course I mentioned had groups of ten.  It
was big on process, including project management, design & project
documentation, and minuted weekly group meetings, but team members could select
whatever tasks appealed to them.  Since these included everything from
designing User Requirements & System Architecture through to Testing & User
Documentation, and included roles for an administrator, a version controller, a
documentation controller, etc, students had a lot to choose from.

This focus on internal process also seemed to create a social dynamic within
groups, which was nice.

> Where projects go off the rails is when people who don't know much of
> anything about the fundamentals -- e.g. finance types or sociopathic CEOs --
> overrule common sense by putting a filter on their decisions that have
> nothing to do with reality of physics. We all know the faster, cheaper,
> better meme, or whatever the three are. You can't have all of them. But
> physics is going to trump every time.

Like creating a "multi-technology" NBN for example, or a fibre-to-the-node
network just to be seen to be different?

David L.