On 2016-07-05 16:27 JanW  wrote:

> I find it amazing that the country could build an electricity grid, a rail
> network, a road network, and HUGE water pipelines many many decades ago, but
> now is afraid to invest in building the 21st century equivalent.  If people
> back then behaved as they are today, we would still be walking or riding
> horses.

But past governments spent money on projects simply because they were in the
public interest.  Now the growth-based economic model is hitting the wall,
governments (especially conservative ones) have largely handed control of the
economy over to business in the hope they will "do something".  This strategy
won't be successful.

David L.