> I like RedHat's words, but the term "RedHat standard kernel" bothers me a
> bit (isn't there only supposed to be *one* standard kernel?).  And, the
> point has been made before, that IBM could be a bit more flexible.

No vendor ships Linus base kernel. Linus base kernel doesn't pass anyones
QA test suite. Linus role is to put out clean well designed code and to
ensure development takes the right paths. The vendors then all add on
top of that various things including bug fixes which while they may fix
the bug are not the right long term solution and so won't go into Linus
tree.

Alan