Alan Cox wrote:

> > less software costs (one copy per engine vs one copy each for each boxes) then
> > most other platforms.
>
> software costs lower. How many copies of Red Hat PC boxed set can you buy
> for a VM license ;)

I'm not talking about the operating system, but the middleware and applications.

DB2 UDB for Linux is the same price based on the number of engines.  I can support
more users on a 390 engine then an Intel engine.  Hence I need more copies under
Intel.  Same for Websphere and then we get down to the applications.

Given the rule of thumb of 100 Intel servers can be consolidated to a single 390
server...

100 copies of DB2 costs a lot more than 1 copy
100 copies of Websphere costs a lot more than 1 copy
100 copies of NT costs more than 1 copy of VM

I thought I saw that DB2 UDB was $20K per server/engine.  So, just on a software
side, DB2 under Linux/390 being able to replace 3 copies of DB2 UDB on Intel, would
basically reach a break even point.

z/VM 4.x    $45,000
DB2 UDB for Linux  $20,000
Total:  $65,000

DB2 UDB for Intel:  $20,000 per copy
3 copies:  $60,000

Of course, if anyone has real numbers, I'm all ears...

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting