On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, David Boyes wrote:

> Even further -- the $150 media kit for SuSE 7.0 was something that most
> places could buy without Acts of God or accountants -- even within the reach
> of someone's private wallet if push came to shove. That got them a lot of
> visibility.  $11K/engine is not something that you can do on a private
> budget, and certainly not for an evaluation project.

SuSE still offers a $4.500 evaluation version, which comes with the full
service of the full product.

> I'd be a lot happier if SuSE reinstated the media kits w/o support -- I like
> their distribution, and I generally like their approach, but I don't see a
> good reason to pay for something I'm not going to use. I'm told that media
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If you are not going to use it anyway, why you _need_ Linux on a mainframe? If
you just want to play with Linux, there is just the same Linux on a much
cheaper platform, e.g. ia32.

Everybody who has a very good reason to run Linux on a mainframe can talk to
SuSE.

> kits are still available in Germany for SLES 7, but not elsewhere.

Media Kits are not available for SLES 7, not even in Germany.

> But, ultimately the market will decide...

...where the choice is only between the companies that will survive.

--
Kind regards,

                Joachim Schröder

More info at [EMAIL PROTECTED]