> On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, David Boyes wrote:
>
> > Even further -- the $150 media kit for SuSE 7.0 was something that most
> > places could buy without Acts of God or accountants -- even within the reac
> > of someone's private wallet if push came to shove. That got them a lot of
> > visibility.  $11K/engine is not something that you can do on a private
> > budget, and certainly not for an evaluation project.
>
> SuSE still offers a $4.500 evaluation version, which comes with the full
> service of the full product.

That's way beyond any budget I'm likely to manage.

To be sure I'm not going to run it on a real mainframe, but running
Linux under Hercules on my Athlon is certainly something I can do.

> > I'd be a lot happier if SuSE reinstated the media kits w/o support -- I lik
> > their distribution, and I generally like their approach, but I don't see a
> > good reason to pay for something I'm not going to use. I'm told that media
>                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> If you are not going to use it anyway, why you _need_ Linux on a mainframe? I
> you just want to play with Linux, there is just the same Linux on a much
> cheaper platform, e.g. ia32.

If I were to write a paper proposing my management adopt Linux on S/390
or zSeries, it better address that.

Not Linux on my PC, even under Hercules.

> Everybody who has a very good reason to run Linux on a mainframe can talk to
> SuSE.

If SuSE wants to sell it, let them make it easy for people to consider.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield

Microsoft's most solid OS: http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/

Note: mail delivered to me is deemed to be intended for me, for my
disposition.