Not whining Gordon, but let's see - the kernel upgrades aren't written by
SuSE - they're written by open source contributors and are offered free to
all who want them, IBM provides the kernel patches to make the kernel run on
S/390 architecture and the OCO driver updates.  I expect that 85% (probably
more) of the Linux packages require no modifications to run on Linux/390.

Maybe it's time for IBM to step in and produce it's own Linux/390
distribution.  They've already made an investment in the operating system,
recognize it's potential, and could easily cover the costs of producing a
package in hardare sales and service (not to mention voluntary service
contracts).

The alternative is (to my thinking) not use any vendors "package", take the
kernel source and IBM's patches and manually build and maintain your own
system.

Michael Coffin, VM Systems Programmer
Internal Revenue Service - Room 6030
1111 Constitution Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C.  20224

Voice: (202) 927-4188   FAX:  (202) 622-6726