Not true!!!! IBM had other lines such as the 7090 series that were more
powerful, high-end
machines.

The 1401 was a string machine using BCD.  Fields were delimited by wordmarks
and each instruction's
opcode had to be wordmarked.  Machine registers could not be directly
addressed but one could use the
residual value to "chain" instructions.

I/O did occur to fix storage locations

1-80 card reader
101-180 card punch
201-332(?) printer

op codes

        / clear storage
        . set wordmark
        , clear wordmark
        1 read from card readers
        2 punch
        3 print
        above could be combined so that 4 is read and print
        M move
        L - load charaters to A-field workmark
        B - branch
        C - compare
        A - add
        S - subtract

Interesting capability is the ability to read cards through the punch (punch
feed read feature of 1402) and
then punch additional fields into the cards.  Punch feed read was not
supported in OS/360 and I had to
write the EXCP code to migrate applications using this capability.

Hardware multiply and divide was an optional feature along with I/O overlap.
Base machine had 1,200
character storage.  Tape and disk were available.  An optical mark reader
was an additional peripheral
for which I did some programming.  It used "sonic delay lines" to store the
marks read.

All of the above is from long term storage and may be subject to random bit
loss!!!

Don