Am Mit, 2002-02-27 um 17.08 schrieb Hall, Jammie:
> I'm running from a win98 client + I did not install the gnome, KDE and x
> windows stuff on the mf when I ran loader. lesson learned but I need to
> get the textbased part running for now and get the rpms later. is there
> a way I can install gnome, KDE and X without having to RPM?

i am not sure, that i understand you fully - because of my small english
layer around my gern :)

let's state:
- you have a mf linux installed : which one and how?
- you have not installed the graphic thingys (rpms) on the mainframe
- you are working with win98; via telnet?

one type of working environmet for your config (if i state this right)
is to use vnc (kindof a lean x-server on the host machine)
the other type is to use, i know only of commercial ones, a x-server on
win32

in both cases you need to install the packages in a - maybe remote
accessed via nfs - filesystem on the host. the x-clients are running on
the host, so they are needed be installed there; for example gnome ---
but the cpu intensive process of
_displaying_the_results_of_the_running_x-clients_ is performed on the
win98 machine.

hth
bax