[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> I'm unclear as to why any Hercules engines would pop up at all...

I think a flock of penguins on emulated S/390 is a good way to go for
development and it's in this context I think it's worth looking at.

As others have noted, S/390 is an expensive source of CPU power. PCs are cheap,
and PCs equipped with Hercules cost no more for software. Ad Linux and the
software cost hasn't changed.

I can install Linux on a PC in about ten minutes, and I could install Linux on a
hundred (after they're attached to the LAN) about as fast as I could go round
them booting them off a floppy (or CD with a floppy image). It would make no
significance difference equip them all with Hercules and a standard L/390 image.

Even quicker, "Here's your floppy. Set the BIOS up so, boot thus floppy, go get
you coffee, return to the PC and remove the floppy. When it says LOGIN, it's
ready."

--
Cheers
John Summerfield

Microsoft's most solid OS: http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/

Note: mail delivered to me is deemed to be intended for me, for my disposition.

If you don't like being told you're wrong,
        be right!