> Seems that the linuxworld author of the mainframe articles is none too
> happy with those on this listserv.
>
> http://www.linuxworld.com/site-stories/2002/0522.mainframelinux.sidebar2.html
>
> All I can say is I am disappointed that the editors would publish his rant
> and as I assume he is still subscribed to this listserv I'm sure he will
> see this. The referenced article (see above url) is highly unprofessional
> and shows someone who can not accept critism or correction.  In this
> business we all need to know how to say "I don't know" and "you taught me
> something" as things change too fast to have our feet in concrete.

For the record, my comments are quoted accurately and the author did ask for and
receive
permission to publish.

I never thought he'd be that dumb.  Synthetic loops have indeed been discredited for
at least
as long as I said - I can cite many and various examples of highly misleading results
derived
from them, as can my erstwhile colleagues at HDS, Comparex, Amdahl and so on.

I actually considered trying to explain the significance of performance features in
large
multi-user systems, such as the preservation of previously translated virtual-real
address
pairs when the segment table origin register is changed - but thought the better of
it.  How
do you see a feature like that in a synthetic loop?

The man's a fool.  His incompetence is now stored in retrieval systems all over the
globe and
will come back to revisit him whenever he tries to pronounce in the future.

His next article might be about triple-bypass heart surgery using a Swiss Army knife.
I look
forward to it.

--
  Phil Payne