On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 05:17:07AM -0700, Chet Norris wrote:
> Alright, you know the situation, the company won't spend money to buy
> CD's. So, to FTP the distribution to a server (CD or DASD) what do I
> need? It looks like the first thing that LOADER goes after is
> /s390/RedHat/base files, then it goes for the s390/RedHat/RPMS/ files.
> What are you including in your 1.4GB estimate, and is there a way to
> run LOADER (or RHSETUP) by not first downloading the RPMS file to a
> local server? I do still have the SuSE 7.0 CD's, but the company wants
> RedHat, is loading SuSE first the best option, then setting it up as
> the Redhat distribution FTP server?

Do you control your routing?  Because, if you do, setting up Debian in
the absence of distribution media is lots easier than either SuSE or
Redhat, in my experience.  It's also much easier to get current fixes in
the absence of a support contract than it is with SuSE.  Maybe it's
because I'm a moron or just didn't spend enough time banging on it, but
up2date--the Redhat version of apt-get--never really worked well for
me.  So if you're going to use an S/390 Linux platform as a distribution
server for Redhat (why?  Don't you have any PCs not doing anything?),
I'd recommend Debian.

Adam