Tom,

I was given the following figure last year.

Linux OS Technical Support 1 IFL:
Per year for IBM Global
Services 24x7 support (Embedded image moved to file: pic19072.pcx)
(2 IFL engines would equate to $63,311/year)

sg

                    Tom Rusnak
                    <tom.rusnak          To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                    @cardlink.com        cc:
                    .au>                 Subject:     linux/390 support
                    Sent by:
                    Linux on 390
                    Port
                    <LINUX-390

                    11/13/2002
                    12:05 AM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    Linux on 390
                    Port

Please forgive any ignorance in this question, yet another MVS techie
dipping a toe into the linux world.

We are looking to create a Linux/390 LPAR on an H30 and we are trying to
figure out the "support" arrangements for the base operating system.

With (MVS, OS/390, Z/OS) we ring up the IBM support center for all
operating
system related problems as part of the cost of licensing the operating
system.

What is IBM's arrangement with Linux/390?   IBM (Australia) has told us
that
we do not order Linux via IBM but must order through another site,
presumably Red Hat or SUSE.

If we have installation problems I assume that support is presumably given
through the vendor with whom we purchased Linux.

My concern is what happens once we have a production application running on
Linux/390 and we have an operating system failure.

*) Is there any option for getting support from the IBM support center or
IBM Global Services?
*) Is there a 24x7 support arrangement involved?
*) What are typical costs involved with support for Linux/390?
*) What type of support does IBM provide?  Level 1 equivalent or more?
*) How many out there are running production work on Linux/390?
*) Does anyone have any experience or war stories with using linux support
particularly in Sev-1 or Sev-2 situation?

kindest regards for any responses,

Tom Rusnak
Sydney, Aus.

(This message cross posted between LINUX-390 and IBM-MAIN)