Ryan Ware wrote:

> Basically there are a bunch of things that make up TCO.  In a
> mainframe solution the hardware makes up more of the costs, people, network
> infrastructure, etc make up less.  In a PC server solution it
> is reversed. TCO is a very hard thing to define.  I think the mainframe
> has the deck stacked against it from the standpoint of a lot of people
> only looking at the price of the hardware and thinking they can get by with a
> PC server.  I think you really have to do your homework to convince people
> the mainframe is the better solution.

I have more of a problem justifying migrating a existing group 38 system to an "entry
level" group 38 z800 or to a group 80 "entry level" system on a z900 when my
management compares the software licensing costs from various vendors we use to
process what is essentially a static workload. Every time a new mainframe hardware
platform is announced the "entry level" group is higher in performance and associated
software costs than the previous generation. How many small to medium mainframe shops
did IBM loose because of the zSeries software pricing differences? What about third
party vendors? How many of them have lost clients because of tiered pricing? Sure, zVM
is lower in cost on zSeries and Linux is virtually free but what about those shops
running CA or other vendor products looking at a two or more tier jump in pricing to
process the same workload on a new machine?  Why not say the "entry level" is the
lowest processor model and make it a group 10 no matter what the mip rating and leave
the software pricing alone? How many shops would keep or buy new mainframes if you
only had to pay group 10 pricing for what is now a group 38 box? How many shops would
look for new workloads to migrate to the mainframe to utilize the "spare" horsepower?
The idea is to grow the market not stunt it with sort term profits. An investment in
any mainframe is for long term processing requirements. Those mainframe clients want
to stay around and not have the data center viewed as a purveyor of the "platform du
jour" or "fad pushers".

My $0.02USD...

Bill Stermer
ACS - City of Anaheim