> > One cannot make such blanket statements.  JAVA is a language, not a
> > workload.  Yes it does have characteristics that cause it to have long
> path
> > lengths.  However, it also has characteristics that trash caches,
> > particularly if the programmer takes OO programming seriously.
>
> Very true, although observation indicates that there are a lot of really
> lazy programmers writing in Java, or ones that are simply ignorant of the
> effects of certain programming practices. There are also a lot of
> programmers that use the absolutely horrific crap that comes out of most of
> the integrated development environments these days without ever looking at
> the impact of the code on the environment.

I would have thought that in the particular case of Java, it's the impact of the
JVM on the cache that matters, and that few programmers know enough (or should
know enough) to have much impact on cache. I added "should" because, with the
advent of the next JVM, that knowledge would become obsolete and positively
harmful.

I note that new Xeons are about to descend on us:
Next up the Xeons. A uniprocessor Xeon 3GHz with a whopping 1MB cache will ship
in Q3.

Powers are getting faster, too:
The Power5 chip will be implemented in a 0.13 micron process, just like the
Power4+ chip that was just announced in the pSeries 650 midrange server a month
ago. Those Power4+ chips are now offered at 1.2GHz and 1.45GHz, and are expected
to reach 1.7GHz or maybe even 1.8GHz

and
Servers based on IBM's forthcoming Power5 chip will be four times faster than
current Power4 machines.

However, I couldn't find just what "four times faster" means.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield

Microsoft's most solid OS: http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/

Note: mail delivered to me is deemed to be intended for me, for my disposition.

If you don't like being told you're wrong,
        be right!