Think we'll ever see Linux be able to take advantage of coupling facility
stuff?

|         |           Jim Elliott        |
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           et.ibm.com>        |
|         |           Sent by: Linux on  |
|         |           390 Port           |
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           T.EDU>             |
|         |           03/07/2003 10:09 AM|
|         |           Please respond to  |
|         |           Linux on 390 Port  |

  |       To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                    |
  |       cc:
                                          |
  |       Subject:  Re: 1000th z800 Sold

> I didn't think you could get a "linux only" z800. I thought you had to
> have at least one zOS enabled engine.

There is no such thing as a "zOS" (s/b z/OS) enabled engine. There are
three ways processors can be configured on a zSeries system. As a
standard or traditional engine, as an Integrated Facility for Linux
(IFL) engine, or as an Integrated Coupling Facility (ICF) engine. IFLs
can only run Linux workloads (with or without z/VM). ICFs only run the
Coupling Facility Control Code (licensed internal code).

On standard engines you can run z/OS, OS/390, z/VM, VM/ESA, VSE/ESA,
TPF, Linux for S/390, and Linux for OS/390.

You can order a z800-0FL model which has only IFL engines (one to four)
and comes with z/VM in the price.

Regards, Jim