On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 00:54, Alex Leyva wrote:
> sit0      Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4
>           NOARP  MTU:1480  Metric:1
>           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
>           RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
>

> i've never saw a sit0 interface, i dont know if i can dissapear it or only
> ignore it, but now i have eth0, thanks a lot for all the help Alan, Adam
> and all the people that have helped me, thanks a lot.

Sit is used for Ipv6 in IPv4 encapsulation. For example my ADSL provider
does IPv6, as do I but the telco in the middle still thinks the internet
is "neat" and hasn't progressed this far. I use sit0 to send packets off
my lan to the outside world. sit0 wraps the Ipv6 packet in an ipv4
packet and sends the ipv4 packet to the ipv4 layer then across the telco
dslam and atm to the providers box, which removes the ipv4 and treats
the ipv6 properly.

If you had Ipv6 and the ibm qeth layer doesn't handle ipv6 (It may do it
directly I dont know) you could do the same.

If you don't care about ipv6, just ignore it.