Exactly the same place I draw it for a discrete machine: if I have two
or more hosts and my operating system supports a protocol, I should be
able to hand the network hardware a fully formed layer 2 frame and
expect it to be transmitted to the other hosts on that virtual network
as supplied. If there are other systems on the same "wire" that don't
understand that protocol, they should ignore it, just as real machines
do. I shouldn't have to care if IBM has gotten around to writing special
code to allow that protocol to work -- CP should move the packets to the
virtual interfaces and let the hosts decide what to do with them.

Guest LANs should be protocol transparent. Let the hosts attached to the
LAN decide what they can cope with; the LAN transport infrastructure
shouldn't know or care what is inside the frames. That's up to the hosts
-- CP should be concerned with infrastructure, not content.

-- db

David Boyes
Sine Nomine Associates