I did not say anything about the removal of SIE, just the SIE assists (which
require OCO).  SIE itself is documented in SA22-7095 and invoked from
HCPRUN, that's not OCO.

Jan Jaeger.

From: Alan Altmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: OT: Intel gets virtualization clue?
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 13:25:21 -0400

On Thursday, 10/09/2003 at 04:53 GMT, Jan Jaeger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Rick, see this from the positive side, once SIE assist code etc has been
> removed, there will no longer be an argument for OCO ;-)

No one said anything about the removal of SIE; there continues to be
support for two levels of SIE in the hardware.  The I/O assists were the
main attraction of V=F (IMO).  Looking down the road, the DMA aspects of
QDIO (for SCSI and network devices) reduce the benefit of I/O assists
anyway.

Alan Altmark
Sr. Software Engineer
IBM z/VM Development