Rick, see this from the positive side, once SIE assist code etc has been
removed, there will no longer be an argument for OCO ;-)

Jan Jaeger.

(How about z/VM V5 all source again?)

From: Alan Altmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: OT: Intel gets virtualization clue?
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 08:58:22 -0400

On Thursday, 10/09/2003 at 12:38 EST, Richard Troth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Jim ... I don't like where this is going.
> But then,  I'm a purist:  I see what VM offers and find
> little value in "VM in the hardware" other than to sell to
> those customers who either have the rare real problem with VM support
> or the stereotypical allergy to it.   (Can't make people LIKE
something.)

Consider what MPG offered: Increased performance.  Moving to a more
powerful machine plus the ability to RESERVE or LOCK guest pages helps
make up for the loss of MPG.  Plus, the limit of 6 preferred guests makes
it less interesting for server consolidation, IMHO.

> I have been bothered by lack of "basic mode" for the past couple years.
> Maybe this is not a problem,  since I hear few customers complaining.
> But then perhaps there just are not enough customers who have been
> "hit" by the issue like Jan has.

Intellectually, from the purist's perspective, I'm sure the loss of MPG
hurts, but the reality is that of those who run zLinux, the vast majority
run in LPARs.  So, the z990 changes nothing in this respect.

> 30 LPARs is great,  and probably serves a great number of customers.
> But 30 LPARs lose a whole shipload of other value that VM offers,
> that I don't need to enumerate,  preaching to the choir this is.

I don't think 30 LPARs cost VM anything.  I think it makes using LPARs
less painful for those times when you need one.  Psychologically, 1/30th
of the machine is less impact than 1/15th.  That means getting an LPAR
when you need one is easier.  With HiperSockets, IEEE VLAN, and the z/VM
4.4 virtual switch, the management of the images in those LPARs is much
easier.  You can still clone and manage content from within VM.  Whether
you IPL in a virtual machine or in an LPAR is a choice based on
performance requirements.

Alan Altmark
Sr. Software Engineer
IBM z/VM Development