> Phil, that sounds familiar to me. Can you post a location for that?

It's a first-hand account.

You can find MUCH more by going to http://groups.google.com and searching on
"demon.service".
Then click on "search in this newsgroup" and enter "godfrey".  You'll get nearly 8,000
hits -
you may see my name in quite a few of them.

> I know, (don't ask me how!), that Demon, is one of the larger UK based service
> providers.

It was one of the very first - almost a club that got together to buy themselves a
small
network and link it to the internet - the customers were and still are referred to as
"subscribers" because that's literally how it started.  Some benefits - SMTP mail
delivery
(the server ran on the subscriber's system - Demon ran the client) and fixed IP
addresses.  It
grew very rapidly at first, but has since been blown into the weeds by just about
every other
provider.

It's now called "Thus plc" - the change of name causing me to remark that "a company
that
wants to be a major player on the Internet has successfully chosen a name that makes it
invisible to most search engines".

--
  Phil Payne
  http://www.isham-research.com