I appreciate all your help and patience. There was/is still confusion on
my part. I thought that since I did not have the CTC from z/OS as part of
the OSPF routing and VIPA configuration that it would not contain the
source VIPA in the packet. I then figured that the source would be the
z/OS CTC. Since there was a static route to Linux from z/OS, the packet
should have no problem getting there. On Linux, there was another static
route to get it back. As you pointed out, I was wrong. Please bear with me
here though. I displayed my routes under Linux, and sure enough the z/OS
LPARs VIPA was learned correctly. See below.

O>* 161.186.98.0/24 [110/11] via 10.28.91.20, eth1, 02:32:51
                             via 10.28.93.20, eth0, 02:32:51
O   161.186.98.20/32 [110/11] via 10.28.91.20, eth1, 02:32:51
                              via 10.28.93.20, eth0, 02:32:51

The VIPA is being learned from the 2 OSA/e interfaces under z/OS as I
expected. However, these routes were not helping me. I had to insert the
following static to force the VIPA over the CTC instead of the OSA/e
interfaces. This is where my confusion begins again. If the interface a
ping request comes in on has no bearing on the interface chosen to return
the ping response, why was this static necessary? It looks like the packet
had a source VIPA of 161.186.98.20 but was hanging up in the network
somewhere.

S>* 161.186.98.20/32 [1/0] is directly connected, ctc0

I was hoping to reserve the CTC for high volume DB2 data and use the OSA/e
for normal network activity.

As far as Quagga, I will look at it this weekend. I am new to Linux and do
not fully understand how to install source RPMs yet.

Peter

Alan Altmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: Linux on 390 Port <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
03/26/2004 02:38 PM
Please respond to Linux on 390 Port