> Initially, linux complained when my windows PC tried to get the share:
> Apr 26 12:26:43 rockhopper rpc.mountd: can't get hostname of
> 137.70.103.112

As it should -- this is a security feature. It's actually creating an
audit trail for your actions and couldn't get a hostname to log it in
the audit trail. It's a transient complaint -- it went ahead and logged
the IP address, but the permanent fix is to get DNS names assigned to
your DHCP pools (example: dhcp-137-70-103-112.foo.bar.edu). It's a good
idea anyway, and it makes tracking troublemakers a lot easier.

> I have yet to be able to make the mount command, which is
> replaced with
> something new when you install Windows Services for Unix, to
> actually mount
> the NFS share, but I have been able to use 'my network
> places' to see the
> share on the target machine. I think however it is using UDP. When I
> started doing this, these messages started appearing in my
> log about every
> 10 minutes.
>
> Apr 27 08:30:46 rockhopper inetd[83]: netbios-ns/udp server failing
> (looping), service terminate

Nope. The Windows code is looking for a WINS server (netbios-ns is the
official IETF name for WINS). rockhopper has a entry in /etc/services
for the WINS port, which doesn't appear to be configured on this machine
(causing it to die), and inetd eventually decides that that service is
broken and it's going to ignore requests for it (thus the message).
Installing/configuring Samba and enabling WINS support will cause this
message to go away. Why the Windows code wants it, I can't imagine...

> Anyway, is there something I need to do differently in my
> exports file to
> not require DNS reverse lookup of an inbound host?

No. Get your network people to put proper reverse mappings in your DNS
for their DHCP pools. This problem will occur in other services, and
it's probably affecting the performance of your existing services as
well (you're waiting for reverse resolution on every connect if you have
systems or services that are trying to be more secure and log things).
You might as well fix the problem instead of the symptoms.

> I'm just wondering about the wisdom of including IP address
> ranges, or if
> that is even going to work

It will work, but it's a problem waiting to happen. Get the DNS fixed.