> also made
> the necessary changes to the Linux side in /etc/exports and all worked
> well,
> albeit very slowly.  I wasn't going to implement this into
> production, so
> I wasn't to worried about the speed.  But since the subject has been
> brought up
> does anyone know why the reponse time would be so slow?

Does your NFS client have a reverse mapping in DNS for it's IP address?
If not, you're probably experiencing some of the delays I mentioned in
my response to James.  The Unix world cares about stuff like this
(discounting my normal healthy network admin fascism about "if it ain't
in DNS, it probably isn't something I should be talking to").

Another possibility: NFS is stateless, and some of it's "security" is
based on IP address. It does a lot of DNS lookups, and you can
dramatically change it's performance by making sure forward and reverse
DNS is correct.

It (NFS Services) isn't great code -- the phrase "MS Porcine Choral
Society" comes to mind. There's a lot of (IMHO) unnecessary mapping
going on in the filesystem drivers, and it's in no particular hurry to
do things efficiently.

-- db