On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 10:32, Alan Altmark wrote:
> That isn't the issue, really.  Just because something new comes along, you
> don't throw away the old.  (Good thing, or I'd be working on PCs.)  When
> the cost of producing BOOK files exceeds the value, rest assured we'll
> quit.  (Someday PDF will be the second-class citizen and our decendents
> will be having the same discussion.)

And that's really my question: I prefer PDF or linked HTML as my output
format, but what is the right tool for *creating* documentation?

I really like Bookmaster; what I want is a structural markup language,
and I want the compilation/processing step to write it out into any of
several output formats, which may include PostScript, PDF, Bookmanager
Output, terminal-formatted plaintext, or whatever; the output format
should be pretty much independent of the specification language.  I
particularly *don't* want a word processor to do this job, as I'm
expecting my readers to be reading on all *sorts* of not-necessarily
compatible (perhaps not even APA) displays.  I *think* DocBook is the
right answer, but I've been unable to find any tools that let me
actually sit down and write anything in DocBook.  There seems to be a
big gap between, "er, it's an XML schema, and it goes like this" and
"here's how you write a DocBook document."

Anyone out there been more successful?

Adam