From: Jim Elliott [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 6:17 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ifl

> I believe that the only difference between an Integrated Facility
> for Linux (IFL) processor and a standard processor is that the IFL
> has a microcode fix to ensure that MVS systems can't use it.

To be more specific, the IFL has a hardware/microcode difference which
prevents operating systems other than z/VM V4/V5 or Linux from booting
on it. This means, z/OS, VSE/ESA, TPF, z/VM V3 and their predecessors
(not just MVS). This also applies to these operating systems as guests
of z/VM V4/V5.

Jim