On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 09:14, Nilson Vieira wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> I´m searching for a opensource backup tool that i can use
> with robot?
>
> Can someone help me?

If you're using DSMHFS then we have a couple patches to Amanda that
allow you to export your HFS-managed storage as NFS, import it from
Linux, and use Amanda to back up to DASD-emulated tape in NFS.  Then
your storage management policies will handle migrating that to offline
storage at somepoint and getting it back when you need it.  Those are
available at http://www.sinenomine.net/downloads, and we want people to
test them--they work for us, but they might not yet for you.

The problem is that there's no way to drive the robot interface, in
general, from Linux.  The best alternative we've found, if you don't
have DSMHFS, is to write a little sockets program that allows the Linux
guest to talk to VM and ask VM to manipulate tapes for it.  On the Linux
side, Amanda uses the socket program as its changer interface.  So
basically Amanda asks its changer to give it a new tape--the changer
talks to VM and VM does the magic and returns the information that it's
completed and ready to go to Linux, which then does an amdump to put the
data on tape.

Adam