Thanks for the help. I have made a little progress. Here is the message
I am receiving now:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/local/etc/amanda/normal > amlabel normal volser1
slot 1
amlabel: could not load slot "1": chg-multi: slot is empty

Here are the relevant parts of my config files:
amanda.conf
-----------
runtapes 5
tpchanger "chg-multi"
tapedev "/dev/null"
changerfile "/usr/local/etc/amanda/normal/chg-multi.conf"
tapetype HARD-DISK

chg-multi.conf
--------------
multieject 0
gravity 0
needeject 0
ejectdelay 0

statefile /var/lib/amanda/changer-status

firstslot 1
lastslot 5

slot 1 file:/nfsmount/normal/slot1
slot 2 file:/nfsmount/normal/slot2
slot 3 file:/nfsmount/normal/slot3
slot 4 file:/nfsmount/normal/slot4
slot 5 file:/nfsmount/normal/slot5

I noticed in David Boyes presentation he says to use chg-disk, and your
example mentioned chg-multi. What is the difference?

Thanks again!

Eric Biggs
[EMAIL PROTECTED]