> Well both machines have their own device addresses, and
> unique IP for their
> hipersocket address. Are we doing that wrong?

No, that's right. I'm thinking that WAS is parsing the interface
structure, and being cranky about not having full information.

I set up a test scenario like the setup you described with two WAS
images on two guest lans (one HSI, one QDIO), and if I omit the
/etc/hosts entry for one of the HSI interfaces, I see the same behavior
as you reported. It works correctly (ie, no error) if all the interfaces
are defined in /etc/hosts (and by, extension, in DNS). Still not sure
why, but another data point for you.

> it may very well be doing that, but again, I had the hsi
> devices ahead of
> the eth0 devices in the chandev.conf file during installation.
> Unfortunately, I am not in a position to federatre another
> pair of penguins
> into a multi-cell node at the moment, and our WebSphere guy
> isn't wanting
> to experiment on the production system we just built....

Understandable.

> > What happens if you put a name for the HSI interface into
> /etc/hosts?
> That didn't even occurr to me during the process of resolving
> this, and
> again, I'm not in a position to go off and federate a second node into
> another websphere cell.

See above. It does seem to work if all the interfaces are somehow
resolvable via DNS or host file. Next time you have to set up a test,
try making sure that all the interfaces are resolvable and see if it
behaves differently for you.

-- db