David Boyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Seems a bit risky -- if that's the only way to do this, and it generates
> an actual update, it might be useful to provide an option that just
> interprets the current parameter set list and prints it out without the
> update. Something to put in the hopper for the next round of updates,
> maybe?

Seems reasonable (-t0, anyone..?:). I'll consider including a respective
parameter in a future version of zipl. Still this would not cover
situations
where (extra) parameters were specified on the command line.

Once an IPL record is written, there is no universal way to restore the
exact original configuration - the boot loader code only gets told to
load 'these blocks to that memory location'. There's no information
contained as to what the meaning of the data is (parmfile, kernel,
initrd). I also do not want to introduce external dependencies on the
format of the internal bootmap file.

I think the most reasonable solution for scenarios where configuration
management tools are used would be to impose a policy, only to use
configurations supplied in the zipl.conf file.

Regards,
  Peter Oberparleiter

--
Peter Oberparleiter