> I am able to install SLES 8 31-bit on a configured guest.
> When I try to install SLES 9 31 or 64 bit over the same guest, the
> install fails when trying to ping the gateway.
This may the same issue I've seen. It is always during a SLES install and
it is preceeded (about one 3270 screen earlier) by the message:

HCPIPN2833E IP address is already registered.

The guys who dug into this believe there may be a bug in the OSA card and
we still don't have a fix.  It may have to do with a race condition and
thus is intermittent.

The way we work around it is to keep trying.  Set up a PARMFILE with all
the appropriate networking variables set, if you don't have one already
(it will save you a lot of typing). When you hit the error, just do a "#CP
IPL 00C" to IPL the reader and start over. I usually get past it on the
second or third try, but have gone up to eight.

Here's an example PARMFILE:

ramdisk_size=65536 root=/dev/ram1 ro init=/linuxrc TERM=dumb
INST_PASSWORD=xxxxxx IP_ADDR=nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn AUTOINSTALL=yes
IP_HOST=xxxxxx.xxx.xxx IP_GATEWAY=nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
IP_INTERFACE=qeth IP_MTU=1500 IP_NETMASK=255.255.255.0
IP_BROADCAST=nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn READ_DEVNO=600 WRITE_DEVNO=601
DATA_DEVNO=602 PORTNAME=dontcare IP_DNS=nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
INST_INFO=nfs INST_IP_ADDR=nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
INST_IP_DIR=/nfs/sles9root INST_SCREEN=VNC VNC_PASSWORD=xxxxxx

Hope this helps.

"Mike MacIsaac" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   (845) 433-7061