> > For that, we want to have a Linux Guest monitoring the UPS state and
> > reporting to VM so it can issue a Shutdown signal to all the Linux
> > Guests. We've already figured out the part of VM sending
> the Shutdown
> > signal to the Linux Guests, but we can't solve the rest.
> >
> > How Can it be done?
> > Is there a better way?

Suggestion: if your UPS is capable of sending a SNMP trap to a
monitoring station, configure it to do so. When the monitoring station
receives the trap from the UPS, configure an action routine to use the
HCP command to send a RUNLEVEL SHUTDOWN message to a machine running our
SYSVINIT tool. That will get you a simple orderly shutdown of VM and all
it's related guests.

Your monitoring station could be a virtual machine running Nagios or Big
Brother or some other low-cost monitoring tool. Nagios would be useful
for other things too -- a one stop point to monitor the Linux guests.
Takes about an hour to set up the basic system, and configuration of the
action routine is pretty simple.

If your UPS doesn't directly support SNMP but does support a serial or
USB connection, hook it to a Intel box, run apcupsd or the equivalent
UPS monitoring daemon on the Intel box, and have the Intel box generate
the SNMP trap described above. Apcupsd (the monitor tool for APC UPSes)
includes this capability in the scripts for the package.

-- db