Eli Criffield wrote:
> Is anyone using lvm for all there file systems safely. We currently
> only use lvm for non-system file systems only, but have a test box
> that uses lvm for every file system except /boot.
>
> The test box is working fine but i just wanted to check to see if
> there is any reason to not use lvm for system file systems (/usr,
> /var, /ect...) before i made a production box all lvm.
>

> Also the same question about reiserfs? Does anyone use reiserfs? Is
> there any reason not to use reiserfs?
Using lvm for all volumes (including the root volume) is a good idea,
the "/boot" volume cannot be used with lvm (because the zipl
bootloader cannot load the kernel from an lvm device). I would feel
comfortable with your setup from the lvm perspective.
I would tend not to use reiserfs on s390. Our system test department
does do their frequent tests on ext3, in case of trouble the rock solid
ext2 filesystem can be used as a drop-in replacement, and the manual
recovery tools for the really-worst-case-scenario (filesystem corruption
so bad that the filesystem checker gives up and no backup at hand) are
far better for the ext family.
On the other hand, SuSE does support both filesystems...
--

Carsten Otte
IBM Linux technology center