Carsten Otte wrote:
McKown, John wrote:

However, it would be useless because, as best as I know, there is no
way to propagate the variable back to the parent.

But a shell script can grep the output (stderr) and set that variable.
If that one is included via "source" command, it will be available in
the shell environment that did do the vmcp command before.

Whilst I often grep the output of something, I do so for my own purpose
and knowing I am throwing away information the author felt should be
displayed*. I'd not be happy if my supplier decided to throw that
information away. Indeed, several times I've been cauught with
postgresql not starting and there being no messages because some Red
Twit discarded them.

(I'm sure you can find that in BZ if you try; it's several years old by
now).

That is why I proposed my rather crude hack.

*
It is possible to tee the report to a file so the user sees all that
happened, and the program can then grep the file, but that is more work
and likely a lot of folk will not do it.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait