On 10/11/05, Adam Thornton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> cat /sys/devices/diagnose/8/status

My worries with each of these non-atomic implementations is that by
the time I get to inspect the return code, something else may have
issued a CP command after mine. So my return code would have been
lost, and I would see the return code of that other command without
knowing better.
When the interface requires the process to establish some kind of
binding, that kind of problems is avoided. And isn't that what the
ioctl( ) approach does?

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij                  rvdheij @ gmail.com