Carsten Otte wrote:
> Alan Altmark wrote:

[snip....]

>>>/dev/mem does that.
>>

>>/dev/mem examines guest memory, not CP.  IMO: Dangerous Idea.  The ability
>>to read CP memory comes with the ability to change it.
>
> Oh, CP memory not virtual guest storage. Is this fenced for non-privileged
> guests? Is there use to debug CP from within a guest like with gdb or so?

I can think of no reason to be able to examine CP real memory from
Linux, and I think that doing so would be a terrible security exposure.

>>>Would you care to answer the second part of my question for those
>>>diagnoses we don't export (yet)? ::

>>These should be accessed via the reader/printer/punch device drivers
>>Malcolm write a few years ago, not as diagnose calls.
>
> In fact we tried to implement a reader filesystem once but gave up because
> we could'nt find a good way to map (VM-)records to (Linux-)character
> stream.
> A clean implementation of a device driver for those seems useful to me.

And as Adm T. has mentioned, put them someplace where everybody can
easily find them, and add functionality so a user space application
could be notified (async.) when a file appears on the rdr queue.

>>It is actually a proxy-LINK function for multi-client SVMs.  It also has
>>logon password and LOGON-BY validation.  This could have some value.
>
> Alan, I don't have the slightest idea on what it does from your explanation.
> Can you translate to that to linuxish? What are SVMs?
>
> So far on my personal "good idea" list:
> - reader/punch/printer device driver
> - set language support
> - IUCV network protocol family
> --
>
> Carsten Otte
> IBM Linux technology center
> ARCH=s390

> send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit
Dave Jones
V/Soft Software, Inc.
Houston
281.578.7544