On Wednesday, 10/12/2005 at 05:24 ZE2, Carsten Otte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Adam Thornton wrote:

> >> It is actually a proxy-LINK function for multi-client SVMs.  It
> >> also has
> >> logon password and LOGON-BY validation.  This could have some value.
> >
> > Logon password and logonby validation would be very useful for me.
> > Think of it as the foundation for pam_vmcp.
> Hm. So what the diagnose does is check if a given user/pass combination
> is valid for CP?

Yes.  However, if an ESM is active, you have to issue the CMS RPIVAL
command since checking the CP directory isn't useful.  I recognize that
issuing RPIVAL is problematic for Linux and am working to address that
problem in a future release of z/VM.

Each ESM product does a product-specific thing inside the RPIVAL command.
The RPIVAL program that comes with RACF/VM simply issues a diagnose 0xA0
subcode 4 (see the RACF/VM Macros and Interfaces book).

What you do if another ESM is installed, is up to the vendor - ask them.
And before you ask, no, there's no [programmatic] way to tell which ESM is
installed.  Diagnose 0xA0 subcode 8 only tells you an ESM is present - not
which one.

Using VM for Linux authentication and access control purposes is an area
of intense interest to me.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott