The cause for the crash was the BUG() statement in ll_rw_blk.c (if you
have the sources
installed you could look there what was the problem there).  Seems
something in the tape
block device didn't go too well. But first of all. Is it really
intentional to use the block device
at all? Why not using /dev/rtibm* for the restore?
The problem itself doesn't seem to be tied to the 3590 but to the tape
block device (which
was originally intended to ro-mount an iso-image on tape).

Regards,
Stefan Bader

SW Linux on zSeries Development & Services
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

  When all other means of communication fail, try words.